I took the tank dress from Alabama Studio Style, added some sleeves from a sheath-style pattern, and raised the neckline by about an inch. The tie belt is just an unfinished strip of jersey--but a person could go uptown and make a tube, or a folded over strip, or a braid.
So far the embellishment is only little clusters of seed beads around the neck but it is hard to resist the lure of applique, or reverse applique, or even just a few more beads.
I made one of these in tobacco brown a few weeks ago and have been wearing it almost non-stop--so comfortable and perfect for getting things done. The test dress was sewn on the machine, but the violet one is all hand-stitched. Good thing I wanted to do that, because also my machine is on the outs. A perfect time to be obsessed with hand-sewing.